However, a flurry of purchases doesn't need to blow the whole family budget. Some fall updates don't cost a thing. These ten tips are my favorite, tried-and-true, low-cost and no-cost additions to a woman's Fall/Winter wardrobe.
10. A Colorful Carry-All
|I schlepp around a lot more stuff in the winter. A big, colorful tote adds panache to some of my most mundane, parka-clad, errand-running outfits. This bag, from Forever 21, fits the bill nicely - $33!|
9. Fun Socks
|Whether you see 'em or not, socks add a secret sauce to winter outfits. Portland's own Sock it to Me has oodles to choose from. Starting around $8|
8. Shave Your Legs
- It's pretty easy to get lazy about this hygiene habit in the cooler months. Sometimes, a well-timed shave can change the way you feel in clothes ... especially tights. And this little day-changer is free!
7. Restock the Tights Drawer
Patterned tights add interest to last year's sweater dress ... Forever 21 has a bevy of styles (over 100!)
starting around $6 each.
6. De-pill Beloved Sweaters
|The old stand-by. I grew up using the d-fuzz-it and swear by its results for stripping pills from favorite sweaters. A bargain priced sweater fountain of youth, $3.|
5. An Obi Belt
|This belt is a instant outfit-changer. A ho-hum ensemble becomes super-fashionable with the addition of an obi belt ... and they're surprisingly flattering on almost every figure. Sarah Bibb has designed the perfect obi in loads of patterns and colors. Find them at her shop Folly - $40.|
4. Get Out and Exercise
- It's advice that no one wants to hear, but is undeniably true. Nothing helps clothes feel better than a body that's working on all cylinders. You can spend a lot or a little, price doesn't matter, effort does. I like Pil-oga-robic in NE Portland, it's a great workout and a fabulous team of trainers. And nothing clears the cobwebs like a good run! I just joined Oregon Road Runners' Club to get my butt in gear.
3. A Cute Hat
|For bad-hair days or bad-weather days, a flattering hat is essential and adds a ton of interest to winter outfits. This one from Bonnet is adorable. I also like the hats Goorin Bros., they have a vast selection and a decent price point.|
2. New Make-up
- Fall is the perfect time to update the make-up bag. A lighter foundation or powder, a new lipstick or two, and maybe a little sparkle for upcoming holiday shin-digs.
- Take a little time for a makeover and shake things up a bit. Pop by a Bobbie Brown counter (my personal favorite) for real-life make-up tips and a fresh take on your cosmetics routine.
1. Scarves, Scarves, Scarves
- If you can only afford one Fall purchase, make it a scarf (or two, or three). Scarves are a worthy addition to practically every cold-weather outfit and they're an exceptional value. The make a great gift too!
- Check out this fab video on how to tie a scarf - so many options!
- My picks below above are all from Old Navy. More low-cost, high-impact options can be found at Forever 21, Sloan, and Charmed.